Submission of vehicle for BIMTA Mileage Check
1. Where the British Independent Motor Trade Association (BIMTA) undertakes to check the mileage history of a vehicle before its arrival in the UK, and confirms a mileage for that vehicle, such investigation shall be known as a “BIMTA Mileage Check”.
2. Where such a check is undertaken and a mileage is confirmed, such mileage is declared by BIMTA to be the accurate mileage for that vehicle at the point of sale immediately prior to its export from the relevant country. For the purposes of this certificate the ‘point of sale’ is deemed to be the relevant auction house in Japan.
3. Where the current owner of the vehicle, as a bona fide applicant, can prove to the satisfaction of BIMTA that the mileage shown at the BIMTA Mileage Check was incorrect, then BIMTA will refund the owner the value of the vehicle at the point of source or the value of the vehicle at the time it was discovered that the BIMTA Mileage Check was inaccurate, whichever is the lower figure. For the purposes of this certificate the ‘point of sale’ is deemed to be the relevant auction house in Japan.
4. For a claim to be valid under this provision it must be:
i) bona fide
ii) in writing
iii) made within 30 days of discovery
iv) supported by such evidence as is relied upon by the claimant
5. In the event of any claim BIMTA will require bona fide evidence of purchase and price paid and sight of any other documents it so considers relevant.
6. In the event of a dispute the matter may be referred to an Adjudication Panel composed of BIMTA Executive Members. Its ruling will be final.
7. Once a claim has been made, and a refund accepted, the owner will cease to have any legal right to the vehicle and ownership of the vehicle will be assigned to BIMTA.
8. In the event BIMTA is unable to trace a vehicle and provide a Mileage Check then a full refund will be made to the applicant. This applies only if accurate information has been provided. In the event inaccurate information has been provided then no refund will be made.
For help relating to a claim or query please call 07494 664606
Or write to
BIMTA, Mansion House, David Salomons Estate, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3 0TF.